Tuesday 18 August 2020

Saying goodbye to your characters

 I have completed my last edit of my Christmas novel CHRISTMAS ROMANCE AT WINDFALL LODGE which I have written under my "Romance Writer" name Peggy O'Mahony.  It is time to say goodbye to these characters that I have been involved with since I started some months ago. I always get attached to them, their hopes and dreams and romances.

There are novels which I read over and over again - all of Jane Austen's with the exception of Northanger Abbey, for instance, just for the sheer pleasure of meeting those characters again, even if I know the story and the dialogue by heart!

I have just finished Ali Knight's novel BEFORE I FIND YOU.  A whirlwind story - I need something lighter for my next read so have picked EXCITING TIMES by Naoise Dolan. I have to read something. However, gone are the days when I ploughed through an indifferent novel just because books were "special" and you didn't discard them lightly. With so many talented writers out there, I feel it is a waste of time to read just for the sake of it.

But I digress. What makes a character - in anyone's novel - likeable? Hard to say, isn't it? They have to resonate with you in some way, even if they are not "good". The people in my novels just show up in my head when I am working on the plot. In my last Christmas novel, one character was not planned at all - see if you can guess which one - she insisted in insinuating herself into the story!

CHRISTMAS ROMANCE AT WINDFALL LODGE will be available from Amazon in October. Here is a preview of the cover. I hope you'll like the story.



No comments:

Post a Comment