Monday 4 May 2015

Farewell to the country

I'm back from house-sitting in the country and can say that I have managed pretty well despite being a dyed-in-the-wool townie.  I have learned to negotiate the car past muck spreaders and other bulky farm machinery on narrow country lanes.  I have managed to avoid a pair of pheasants who seemed to think they had right of way and who refused to get off the road.  I have spared a daring little rabbit who peeped out at me from the edge of the road every day as I drove past.  And one night I saw a fox slinking across the road in the dark and felt privileged to have witnessed this piece of wild nature.  Even the birds in the garden accepted me and didn't bat an eyelid when I appeared.  They seemed to know that I was quite harmless and simply enjoyed watching their antics as they built their nests and fed their young.

It was a wonderful four weeks of peace and quiet with the mountains across the valley standing guard.  I often walked out into the garden at night to look at the stars, undimmed by street lighting and wished I understood more about the various constellations.

Yes, the country has its beauties and I was almost sorry to leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment