Sunday 28 April 2013

What's in a name



There are some psychologists or life coaches or whatever the fashionable name for them is nowadays who tell us that we are afraid of success and that is why we are stuck where we are. My question is:  what exactly is success?  The philosophers have been telling us their version of it for centuries but it doesn't seem to have penetrated too far into our minds.  Each individual has his or her own concept of what being successful means.  For some it's getting the top job, for others it's having enough to live on for a lot of people it's finding the right partner and having a family.

I decided to compile my own -  not to be taken too seriously -  list of what success means to me:

1. Getting out of bed at 6 a.m. on a frosty morning.  No mean feat, especially when I know (or knew to be exact, since I am now retired and living in gentler climes) that I am going to have to scrape snow off the car at -10C or so.  Now that, dear readers, deserves a round of applause.    

2. Being polite to a superior when what I wanted to do was to chuck files (and even the office desk) at this person for their overbearing attitude.  This also is in the glorious past, thank goodness!!

3. Resisting the urge to buy a product just because it's on "special offer" if it's an expensive brand that  I normally wouldn't buy.

4.  Not eating all the chocolates in the box.


No comments:

Post a Comment